Horse riding can be a great hobby (or even a sport/passion) to introduce to kids. However, even teens and adults can also do it. To ride a horse is kind of similar to riding a skateboard – you need all kinds of protection in order not to fall (literally) into injury.
That is when you may need to look for the best horse riding boots. These boots should not only be durable and leather-made (or synthetic leather) but they should also be comfortable for hours of riding, especially when it’s a hot, summer day.
Likewise, the boots should also be safe with rugged outsoles that aren’t slippery when you walk with them or ride with them. We also think that having zippers that are durable and are easy to zip up and down can be ideal for all wearers and all levels of horseback riders and/or equestrians.
Zippers that are easy to manage can save a decent amount of time which could be used for horse riding and it could also keep the boots from getting loose during riding hours.
- 1 Horse Riding Boots Reviews
- 1.1 1. Dublin Childs Easy Care Half Chaps
- 1.2 2. ARIAT Women’s Country Western Boot
- 1.3 3. Hispar Men’s Man Stirling Dress Dressage Boots
- 1.4 4. Midwest CBK Resin English Horse Riding Boots
- 1.5 5. Ariat Women’s Fatbaby Western Boot
- 1.6 6. ARIAT Men’s Rambler Wide Square Toe Western Cowboy Boot
- 1.7 7. Hispar Men’s Man Dignity Dress Dressage Horse Riding Boots
- 1.8 8. TuffRider Children’s Starter Front Zip Paddock Boots
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3 Conclusion
Horse Riding Boots Reviews
Here are our picks for the best horse riding boots:
1. Dublin Childs Easy Care Half Chaps
We chose these riding boots for kids because it has machine-washable synthetic suede for its main material. This allows it to be durable yet comfortable at the same time since synthetic suede is easy to care for, as compared to traditional leather.
Added to that, it has an elastic calf so that the wearer will not feel discomfort. You can also depend on the quality-made YKK side zipper to keep the boots from slipping away. Aside from that, there are sizes from small to large to fit your child well and there are even 4 colors or styles to choose from.
That’s not all – there is also a secure top to bottom closure so that when you or your child rides with the boots, it won’t easily feel loose. But wait, there’s more – there is also a snap closure to further seal in the boots without causing discomfort to the rider. With its sizing, it is also ideal for kids usually from 10 to 12 years old.
- Synthetic suede for easy care
- Various colors/designs
- YKK zipper
- Top to bottom closure
- Could have design flaws on the rivet
Overall, the Dublin Childs Easy Care Half Chaps is a good choice for horse riding boots for kids.
2. ARIAT Women’s Country Western Boot
If you are looking for women’s boots for horse riding then we’d recommend this one for you. As for the materials, it has a synthetic outsole and a YKK zipper so that it’s not only durable but it’s also easy to zip up. There are sizes 6 to 11 (US) available for the riding boots and you can also choose between black and chocolate brown colors.
That’s not all – it has a measurement of 16 3/4 from the arch to the shaft and has a 15 1/4-inch boot opening so it can fit most women. Likewise, the whole boot material is weatherproof and also has a waterproof construction while maintaining the soft and comfortable material around the ankles.
In addition to that, due to its thin shape, it might be ideal for women who have thin legs and it could also be used in the winter due to the tough material against snow and cold weather.
- Weatherproof and waterproof
- Comfortable and thin (yet durable)
- YKK zipper
- Various sizes are available
- Minor smudges in the inner foot area
As a whole, we think that the ARIAT Women’s Country Western Boot can be ideal horse riding boots for women.
3. Hispar Men’s Man Stirling Dress Dressage Boots
If you want a pair of men’s horse riding boots that have a durable full-length zipper from back to side, you can try this one. It is made with soft genuine leather so that it is not only sturdy but also aesthetically pleasing. What’s more, this pair is hand-crafted so you can applaud all that quality hard work!
What we like about this boot set is that it has a moisture wicking sock liner which also has a leather lining. This would be helpful on a hot and summery day of horseback riding. That’s not all – the inner leg has a soft feel so it can be comfortable for hours of riding.
With its anti-skid tread design, it can help prevent accidents along the way, and also because the rubber outsole is abrasion-resistant. You can pick different sizes from 7 to 13 and it is also available in black and brown.
- Moisture-wicking sock liner
- Durable full-length zipper
- Anti-skid tread design
- Various sizes and colors
- Comfortable inner leg
- The width of the foot area could be a bit too big
If you’re looking for men’s horse riding boots, we’d suggest the Hispar Men’s Man Stirling Dress Dressage Boots.
4. Midwest CBK Resin English Horse Riding Boots
These boots have a great amount of detail. Bearing an English riding boot design, this one measures 1 7/8″ x 1 5/8″ with a height of 3 3/8″ – ideal for most riders and equestrians of all levels.
That’s not all – since it has a hanging loop at the back, you can also turn it into a Christmas tree ornament. This would make the boots a lovely gift to give someone you know who is into horses and horseback riding – or cowboy-themed gifts, for that matter.
Since it has been made with a resin-type material, it can be quite durable, too. With this kind of construction, it can retain its solid design for a very long time – even after many holidays that passed by.
- Realistic English riding boot design
- Has a hanging loop at the back to turn it into Christmas tree décor
- Ideal gift for equestrians
- Decent size
- The paint on the boots can be a bit uneven
The Midwest CBK Resin English Horse Riding Boots could make a great gift for equestrians.
5. Ariat Women’s Fatbaby Western Boot
Made with pure leather, the boots would probably be ideal for kids and teens who work on the ranch to maintain horses or even use them for competitions. Its synthetic outsole made of Duratread material that can withstand wear and tear can be a great plus as horse riding boots for different ages.
Since it has many designs to choose from, you can pick one that suits your needs. And that’s not all – it has a 1.5-inch heel and a half-inch platform while the boot opening has a 13-inch measurement. Added to that, it has a fancy design and with a shaft that measures 8 inches from the arch.
To keep the rider from feeling fatigued for a long period of riding, it has a 4-layer footbed to make it comfortable. And check this out – the shank has a stabilizing component that’s lightweight and supportive.
- 4-layer footbed
- Can be used for competitions
- Many designs to choose from
- Pure leather
- Stabilizing component on the shank
- Not completely waterproof (needs to be sprayed)
We think that the Ariat Women’s Fatbaby Western Boot could be ideal for horse riding competitions.
6. ARIAT Men’s Rambler Wide Square Toe Western Cowboy Boot
Do you want cowboy-style boots that are durable and workable aside from being horse riding boots? We’d like to recommend this pair, which is made with pure leather with a Duratread outsole for durability as well.
With a shaft of 10.5 inches and a heel of 1.5 inches, it is a wide, square toe design so it can be more comfortable for those who aren’t used to wearing shoes or boots for a very long time due to feet constraints.
You can also choose from 4 different designs and sizes from 7 to 15. We also like the fact that it has a drying footbed that wicks away moisture – helpful for the summer days when riding a horse. And it doesn’t end there – it can also be used by equestrian athletes due to its quality design and durability while adding cushioning inside due to its ATS technology.
- Duratread outsole
- Pure leather
- Wicks away moisture inside the footbed
- Ideal for equestrian athletes
- Can be for heavy-duty use
- Minor sizing issues
For those who want a heavy-duty boot for horse riding, we think you’d like the ARIAT Men’s Rambler Wide Square Toe Western Cowboy Boot.
7. Hispar Men’s Man Dignity Dress Dressage Horse Riding Boots
If you want durable and authentic leather boots, you can try this one. It has a looping through the heel and it has pull-tabs at the shaft so it can be easy to wear for beginners and seasoned horseback riders alike. Moreover, it has a rubber outsole with an anti-skid tread design to prevent further accidents and slippage.
It doesn’t end there – it has an abrasion-resistant design so that you can worry less about injuries while riding a horse (or even just tending to them). That’s not all – it has a moisture-wicking sock liner is lined with leather for added comfort and dryness during a hot day.
We like that it is hand-crafted so that it can be of high quality for competitions and even simple horseback riding. Furthermore, it can withstand rain and mud and is available in both brown and black colors with sizes 7 to 13. You might like this one if you prefer tall boots.
- Authentic leather
- Abrasion-resistant design
- Moisture-wicking sock liner
- Rubber outsole with anti-skid tread design
- Could be slightly tight around the heel
Do you want shiny leather boots? We’d recommend you the Hispar Men’s Man Dignity Dress Dressage Horse Riding Boots for that.
8. TuffRider Children’s Starter Front Zip Paddock Boots
For kids who are new to horseback riding, these English-style boots would probably do. Since they are made with synthetic leather, they can be easy to take care of and clean. With a height of 4.5 inches and a width of 10 inches, it can be easy to fit for most kids since it has sizes from 1 to 13.
What’s more, its zipper closure is also simple to pull up and down for most young riders. Likewise, it has a PVC outsole for all-weather problems and a rounded toe for added safety and security. Since it has spur rests, it can help with hours of horseback riding.
That’s not all – it has detailed durable stitching and gussets that are elastic for the flexibility of the wearer. Last, but not the least, the inner parts are soft and breathable.
- PVC outsole
- Zipper closure
- Detailed durable stitching
- Elastic gussets
- Ideal for beginners
- Could run a bit small for some kids
For those who are beginners at horse riding, especially kids, you can try the TuffRider Children’s Starter Front Zip Paddock Boots.
Frequently Asked Questions
Got a question in mind about horse riding boots? We’ve answered some of them for you:
How do I choose the best horse riding boots?
When choosing an ideal set of horse riding boots, you may want to look into the following first:
- Style. You can choose from either English or Western-style, as both of them are okay for horse riding.
- English boots tend to have a tall boot design and they can be easy to get out of due to the zipper design.
- Western boots are mostly easy to clean up due to being mostly made of synthetic leather. They also have a tall boot design but usually much higher in the heel part.
- Materials used. Synthetic leather is easier to clean and cheaper for beginners. However, seasoned horseback riders may prefer genuine leather.
- Ease of wearing. Most boots would have a durable zipper, preferably YKK, so that it can be easy to put on and off. The placement of the zipper is also important. Pull tabs on the heel part can also help ease the wearing process.
- Sizing. The sizing options should be widely available so that you can find it easy to look for a size you need. Whether the rider is a kid, a teen, or an adult, there should be sizes that are available for them.
- Other comfortable features. Soft inner linings and other cushioning boot components can help the rider to stay comfortable for a long period, especially beginners.
How do I wear horse riding boots?
Most riding boots have a zipper and a pulling mechanism on the heel to make them easier to wear, much like with most regular shoes. Since English and Western boots can sometimes differ in design, it’s up to the look and the design of the boots on how you wear them.
How do I clean up horse riding boots?
That depends on which type of material makes up the boots:
For pure leather materials, you should get it cleaned up by a leather cleaner expert. After all, leather cannot be easily washed without special coating. At best, if you want your riding boots to be truly waterproof, consider having it sprayed with a waterproof coating to make it easier to clean after a muddy session with your horse.
Leather boots could also use a leather conditioner to improve the texture, since, after all, leather is from animals. Conditioners can help nourish the leather – do not use regular household soap or chemicals because they might damage the leather.
For synthetic leather, they can be easily cleaned like most shoes due to the synthetic leather already being waterproof or water-resistant. This is why many beginners tend to use synthetic leather more because not only are they cheaper, but they also tend to be easier to clean.
How do I store my horse riding boots?
To store them, make sure they are in a well-ventilated room so that they won’t easily deteriorate. Consider a place with minimal sunlight or heat sources as well.
If it is a leather boot, add a leather conditioner before storing it so that it will stay smooth throughout the storage period, especially if you won’t be using it for a very long time. Polishing can also be done but only if it needs to be shined.
Overall, we think that choosing the ideal horse riding boots that are more appropriate to you (or someone you know) can help save anyone from injury and discomfort. The boots you wear will help you to stay put with your horse so it’s important to choose wisely.
There are big differences between quality and non-quality boots that can be used for horse riding, so we hope we helped you out in picking the right boots for you. And remember: if you’re a beginner, always follow the instructions to ride safely with your horse!